There is good article to read

http://cs.stackexchange.com/questions/103/clock-synchronization-in-a-network-with-asymmetric-delays

Probably NTPD uses a weighting schema when processing the measurements. However, beyond a certain level of delay the measurements are likely to be so corrupted as to be useless.

On 2016-10-11 13:09, Thomas Valerio wrote:
I was going to post my ntp output and ask for an opinion, then this
discussion popped up.  It would appear that asymmetric delays are the
exact explanation for what I am seeing. Is that a reasonable assumption?
It does seem to be rather consistent throughout the day, however.  The
reason for checking against the net when I have a GPS source is that I
want ntp to continue if/when there is no PPS. Is there any way to inform
ntp of the asymmetry?

   Thanks,
     -- Thomas Valerio

Every 20.0s: /usr/sbin/ntpq -n -c pe pe Tue Oct 11 12:37:33
2016

jitter
x127.127.28.0    .NMEA.           0 l    4   16  377    0.000  -30.300
36.009
*127.127.28.1    .PPS.            0 l    3   16  377    0.000    0.001
0.000
-208.53.158.34   216.93.242.12    3 u    9   64  377   17.202    2.907
0.188
+208.100.4.52    216.86.146.46    2 u   64   64  377   16.612    2.332
0.193
+208.69.120.241  142.66.101.13    2 u    5   64  377   24.258    1.688
0.223
-128.118.25.3    130.207.244.240  2 u   53   64  377   40.429    4.956
2.577

Hi

NTP can *not* detect “common mode” asymmetric delay. Having a local
GPS does not count in this respect. What does count is an NTP client /
server sitting in your home trying to figure out what time it is only
by hooking to the internet.

To do this it must do a few things:

1) Get a signal out through the (slow / long lag) upload channel on your
modem.
2) Route that signal through the cable guy’s low capacity upstream
network to
   one of his (at best) two or three gateways to your local empire.
These may
   or may not be in the same state you live in.
3) Fly the signal over the backbone to whatever server is involved.
4) Fly a signal back over the backbone to possibly another set of gateways. 5) Route that signal through the cable guy’s high capacity downstream
network.
6) Run it through the (quite fast / low lag) downstream channel on your
modem.

Steps 1,2,5 and 6 are common to every single server you try to access.
If your
modem has an “upstream” lag of (say) 101 ms and a “downstream” lag of (say) 1 ms, every server you contact will have a round trip time of at least 102 ms. They *may* have more than this, but none will ever have less.

As the day progresses and various groups pop on and off the system in
your state,
the usage of the upstream and downstream channels changes. It is not
unreasonable
to guess that both change as a percentage. If that guess is correct,
your upstream
varies by significantly more than your downstream. That will get into
NTP’s loop
correction stuff as well.

You *might* ask, how about pings? Well, you *might* look into it and
find that
your local cable system recognizes pings at a very low level and
preferentially
routes them. Yes, that’s hogwash and nobody would ever do it ….. except
that’s the way it works here with my internet. The network can be
completely
dead and pings (along with other ICMP traffic) will get through. Hmmm…..

You are indeed a guy with 5 watches to check against. The gotcha is that
every
single one of them has been set fast or slow by the same amount.

Bob

On Oct 6, 2016, at 11:03 AM, Chris Albertson <albertson.ch...@gmail.com>