This may be obvious, but anyone making such a device today would be well
advised to use LED strips instead. We just upgraded the lighting in my wife’s
office/craft room with an LED panel light. It’s around 4’x1’x1” and puts out
4000 lumens - quite bright and enough to fill the entire room with task level
lighting. You could certainly make the equivalent of a T8 bulb out of modern
high output LEDs and they’d be able to be switched on and off solid-state and
they wouldn’t suffer from frequent switching. Heck, you could probably
multiplex them the same way you multiplex smaller LED displays and it would
still work.