Hi

There are entire (big and heavy) books written on quantization errors…..

In a counter, there are a number of different sub-systems contributing
to the error. Depending on the design, each may ( or may not) be a bit better
than
absolutely needed. Toss in things like 10 MHz reference feedthrough
(which is decidedly weird statistically) and you have a real mess.

The simple answer is that there is no single answer for a full blown counter.
For an ADC sampling system, there may indeed be a somewhat more
tractable answer to the question (unless feed through is an issue with
your setup …).

Bob