Hi

At least in my “unconstrained by reality” state, my thought is that the “sync”
PPS signal is there all the time.
You are as much doing a phase lock as a sync. The “PLL” only has a phase
resolution of 100 ns so once
it’s running, not much happens. Yes, this might get you into all sorts of
issues like some D-FF’s for early / late
detection. Things are getting more complex ……

Bob