On 12/4/16 1:09 PM, Attila Kinali wrote:
On Sun, 4 Dec 2016 15:45:55 -0500
Bob Camp <kb...@n1k.org> wrote:

Given that the parts to build one are fairly easy to get and that we likely
have “nutty”
EMI requirements. Maybe a small board that drops into a 78xx footprint is the
better solution.

I don't fully agree. To go full "nutty" you would want to use the chips

<snip>

or buy a few of each of the commercial modules and test them. They are an all-in-one solution with all the usual features about overtemp, overcurrent, etc.

What you'd need to do is characterize their noise properties over load (something not in the datasheet), and then you could design a LC filter to knock down the rest. Or do the LDO regulator thing.. it's not entirely clear that a dc/dc followed by a suitable LDO might not come out ahead of a dc/dc followed by a filter.

Even for time-nuts, I suspect we're not looking to eke out the last percent of efficiency from 96% to 97%, or handle wildly varying loads, etc. Nor are we usually looking for absolute minimum parts cost.