Thanks Graham,
That explains a lot.  I had never experienced blips that were this large before.
 Bob

      From: Graham <planoph...@aei.ca>
 To: time-nuts@febo.com
 Sent: Sunday, January 8, 2017 4:17 PM
 Subject: Re: [time-nuts] Something odd - ionosphere?

*SOLAR WIND SURROUNDS EARTH:*For the fifth day in a row, Earth is
surrounded by a fast-moving stream of solar wind flowing froma large
hole
<http://spaceweather.com/images2017/03jan17/ch_strip.png?PHPSESSID=qldvtt9u8qamt2b19ncupb86p2>in

the sun's atmosphere. NOAA forecasters say there is a 40% chance of
G1-class geomagnetic storms on Jan. 8th asbright auroras
<http://spaceweathergallery.com/aurora_gallery.htm>flicker around the
Arctic Circle.

http://spaceweather.com/  for further details

cheers, Graham ve3gtc