Hi Bob,

On 01/10/2017 12:20 AM, Bob kb8tq wrote:
Hi

On Jan 9, 2017, at 5:09 PM, Jeremy Nichols <jn6...@gmail.com> wrote:

In the late 1960s, Hewlett-Packard engineers worked up a program to have
the 5360A "Computing Pig" (so-called from its weight, 55 pounds without
plug-ins) compute a "fractional frequency standard deviation." It appears
to be similar to the Allen Deviation; I've never figured out the difference
and would appreciate hearing from someone with stronger math skills who can
explain the two.

The 5360A did ADEV. It only started being called ADEV after a few years had
passed.
The 5360A program and it’s various quirks became the topic of a number of post
paper
questions in the early 1970’s. The main focus of most of the questions was on
bandwidth
limiting ahead of the counter. That question really didn’t get a proper answer
for several
more decades.

I've not found much on that topic as I've searched. Care to point to a few papers?

I've been looking at it, and you get somewhat different formulas if you consider the filter.