> On Jan 13, 2017, at 09:40, Bob Camp <kb...@n1k.org> wrote:
>
> Just for reference, I happen to be running a ping over my local WiFi to one
> of the switches
> on the LAN. The ping response is anywhere from 2 ms out to 400 ms. Most of
> the time it’s
> in the 3 to 9 ms range. Simply taking that down to < 1 us would be a really
> big deal.

Ping, particularly to a switch, is not a good indication of actual latency in a
local network. Hosts do not prioritize responding to icmp, and on a switch to
icmp is the lowest “I’ll get around to it” priority the switch has. Pinging the
switch that my host is directly attached to gives an average of 1.22ms. Pinging
another host attached to the same switch gives an average of 100us. The actual
port to port latency on the switch is 2.45us. Your mileage may vary.

Denny