On 1/20/17 7:10 PM, Bob Camp wrote:
Hi

There are several other materials that you can make crystal resonators out of
that
are piezo electric. Some of them can give you much higher Q. This comes with a
whole
raft of other issues. Langesite is one of the more common materials you see
people
playing with. It is common enough that I’ve actually played with it myself.
The simple
 answer is that when you look at cost, Q, and stability (aging, ADEV,
temperature) —
it is tough to beat quartz. If you have a few hundred thousand dollars, you can
play
with great big chunks of Sapphire. Toss in a bit of this and a bit of that and
you can get a
pretty amazing oscillator. That device may (or may not) be < $1,000,000
depending
on how you do the accounting and how many parts you spread the costs over.

would not a true time nut grow their own sapphire?

Realistically, isn't it all about the crystal lattice.. SiO2 vs Al2O3 vs Lanthanum Gallium Silicate vs Lithium Niobate

WHat makes a "good" material? I would think the ability to grow a very uniform crystal is part of it, but are certain crystal forms better than others?