      From: John Ackermann N8UR <j...@febo.com>
 To: Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement <time-nuts@febo.com>
 Sent: Wednesday, February 22, 2017 8:13 AM
 Subject: Re: [time-nuts] TTimelab question

I really like the setup that Mark is describing.  As to TAPR's plans,
we've found that enclosures are a challenge -- metalwork is pretty
expensive unless you get significant volume, and in our niche market,
that's hard to do.

But I am hoping to find an inexpensive clamshell-type enclosure with
flat front and rear panels, and then do up designs (perhaps with Front
Panel Express) for those panels.  That can be done at a reasonable cost,
and at a minimum we can make design files available so people can order
their own panels.

For my own use, I'm also going to do a couple of 2U rack enclosures --
one to hold two TICCs operating independently, and another for the
"megaTICC" -- four units slaved together to make an 8 channel counter,
with a Raspberry Pi controller along the line of what Mark described.
(In multi-board mode, each TICC outputs on its own USB line, so the
RPi's main purpose is to deal with the 8 channels of data from 4 USB
connections.)

I'll make the design files for those enclosures available as well, but
it may be a while as my entire lab is now packed up as we are in the
final stages of moving from Atlanta back to Dayton.

Also, in a day or three I'll be announcing a simple project that sprung
out of the TICC assembly and testing process that some of you might find
useful.  We're still finalizing details on that.

John