On 3/13/17 10:09 AM, Richard (Rick) Karlquist wrote:
A complete oscillator consists of the crystal integrated with the
electronics.  A loose crystal is just a resonator, and the buyer has to
supply his own electronics.  You rarely see the latter any more in
applications other  than oven oscillators.  The same thing happened in
SAW resonators.  About all you can buy now are SAW oscillators.

what about cheap crystals for microcontrollers.. I think the Arduino, for instance, uses a crystal (and the oscillator electronics are inside the Atmel part)

The Arduino Ethernet I have sitting in front of me has a fairly large can labeled T25.000 that looks an awful lot like a crystal, rather than an oscillator.
The published Arduino Uno schematic shows a crystal.