On 6/6/17 11:47 AM, Chris Albertson wrote:
Yes, as I wrote.  I would not mess with AREF.  At most you can only get a
multiplication about 4.   Use an op-amp.   Signal conditioning really
almost alway is required in the analog domain before any A/D conversion

Also like the uP is not inside the oven and has a cable of some length so
you'd want a buffered analog signal on the cable, the op-amp can do that
to.

Those $2 parts I linked to have the ADC referenced to 3.3 volts but have 12
bits as compared to the arduino which has 10 bits

or use a Teensy with a 16 bit differential input ADC. Arduino compatible, cheaper, yeah, you probably get 13 bits real performance from the ADC. Also has a real analog output (not PWM and a LPF) if you need that.

Programmable gain, sample averaging in hardware, etc.   Not bad for <$20.