Someone previously mentioned "aviation" style connectors (which many will recognize as mobile microphone connectors) (see graphic below). I switched to these for power and other connections long ago, and have been extremely happy with them.

One nice thing about them (IMO) is that all chassis connectors are male, and all cable connectors are female (unless you use a male in-line connector to make an extension cable). This means that a dangling cable will never have rudely exposed contacts, and if you are really worried you can use vinyl caps to make sure. Similarly, the pins on the male chassis connectors are well recessed so it isn't easy to short them, but if you want to be sure you can get screw-on caps (see below).

The contacts have substantial tension when mating/mated, plus secure threaded locking rings. They will definitely not work loose. They will handle at least 5A per pin, and I've seen published ratings of 10A. They have good strain reliefs, too.

They are available in a wide range of pin counts, so it is easy to make sure cables are not cross-compatible.

One really nice feature is the availability of right-angle in-line connectors, to minimize the space needed behind equipment (this can be problematic with some other connector series). Use many connectors and you will find that this can be an extremely valuable feature.

On ebay, they are known as "aviation connectors," and are available in three sizes (12mm, 16mm, and 20mm, according to the diameter of the bodies, which is also the hole size for the chassis-mount connectors). Search for GX12, GX16, and GX20. I have standardized on the 16mm version, but have tried and can recommend them all. Shop a little and you will find them at very attractive prices.

I've bought lots of them, from US and foreign suppliers, and as far as I can tell they all come out of the same factory in China. All good quality.

Best regards,

Charles