Hi

> On Oct 31, 2017, at 11:33 PM, Leo Bodnar <l...@leobodnar.com> wrote:
>
>> From: Bob kb8tq <kb...@n1k.org>
>> Working all this back into a holdover spec in an unknown temperature
>> environment is not at all easy.
>> Bob
>

> This is true, it is too easy to multiply figures from the datasheet and then
> start believing in them.
>
> We did extensive testing of real units in real life before committing to any
> specification figures.  They are based on statistical measurements followed
> by an expanded safety margin.
> Here is a typical holdover offset curve over 24 hours in non-DC environment
> (i.e. 5-10 degrees ambient temperature change during day/night period.)
>
> http://leobodnar.com/balloons/NTP/24hr-holdover.png
> <http://leobodnar.com/balloons/NTP/24hr-holdover.png>

Looking at the data, the DUT did some sort of discrete frequency shift around
4,000 seconds. The rest of the time it
plodded along do nothing much ( = it was very stable). None of that is terribly
unusual in terms of a holdover plot.
The nasty question that always gets asked is “what if shift happened earlier?”.
Depending on the test profile, that
may be unlikely or …. . Doing a lot of testing is about the only way to sort
things out.

> Time drift over 24h on this particular unit was below 0.7ms. This is pretty
> good for the device that consumes 1W of power (via PoE or USB) and fits in
> the pocket.
>
> I have used typical Raspberry Pi with a GPS add-on run-of-the-mill timeserver
> as suggested by Attila to monitor relative offsets - this is why reported
> timing is jittery and local (to RPi) 1PPS has an offset.
>
> It is really puzzling why holdover has suddenly come into focus.

This is TimeNuts ….

>  Due to NTP redundancy feature it is trivial to put several inexpensive time
> servers around the local or campus network and let clients do the standard
> NTP sanity checking and server selection.  And those building an NTP system
> able to cope with 24h+ global GPS outage know what they are doing anyway.

Based on some other posts, it appears that some of the applications are in
*very* unusual environments. They are
far more outage prone than one would normally expect.

Bob