On 1/7/18 7:21 AM, Jerry Hancock wrote:
I’m being a little lazy as I can check the schematics, but in the general case,
do HP counters, frequency generators, etc, switch to the external reference
when one is available or discipline the internal oscillator?  Are there brands
of test equipment that generally discipline vs switch?

By the each.

Particularly for newer equipment it can be somewhat of a hybrid - the Keysight 33622, for instance, seems to have some sort of frequency locked loop (according to the manual and emails from Keysight). It stays on the internal reference, but the frequency is adjusted to match the external reference (whether they adjust the oscillator, or reprogram a DDS, I'm not sure).

I've seen test data, though, that seems to imply there's something else going on - the phase noise is reduced when fed from a quiet external source, and if it was a simple frequency locked loop, I don't think that would happen.

Third question, again generally, when you discipline an oscillator, what impact
does this have on the oscillator's phase noise?  I assume this third question
depends on the discipline loop (if I’m using the correct term).

Thanks