Hi

As mentioned in another post, the part does claim to have thermal limit
built in. They appear to pulse test them at 150 ma and 16V so there is
indeed *something* that would suggest operation at 12V would be ok.
I’d guess that the thermal regulation spec applies up to 16V and past that
you are on your own…..

I’d take a look at the bypass caps on the regulator. Looking back at the
original test data, it may have simply gone unstable at the higher voltage.
A 0.1 uf on the input and 0.47 uf on the output seem to be the minimums.

Bob