Hi

By far the highest resolution sensor you will come across is a thermistor. It
also has a pretty
narrow range in terms of maintaining high resolution. That’s fine for something
with a target
temperature ( OCXO oven) and not so fine for monitoring outdoor temperature
year round.

If you want something that is pre-calibrated, then the IC based parts are the
way to go. They
are a much better answer to the “general purpose sensor?” question. Mounting
them and hooking
up to them … errr …. not quite so easy.

One basic answer is to buy a bag of cheap thermistors and calibrate them
yourself. They may
have odd curves, but so far the entire bag looks about the same. That’s been
true for a couple
of bags bought randomly here and there. For a lot of things, a simple three
point calibration will
do pretty well. You still need to do a rational curve fit, but even that isn’t
to crazy over limited
ranges.

Bob