Hi

Ok, I’ll bite ….

>>> I mean jitter as NTP defines jitter.  Whatever that is.
>>
>> I think you need to figure out what you want to do so you don't fool
>> yourself.
>>
>> ntpd is a PLL.  There is a low pass filter in the control loop.  It will
>> track the low frequency wander of the source.
>
> Gary, Hal, Leo,
>
> My mental model of a black box computer running NTP is that I should be able
> to give it a pulse (e.g., via parallel, serial, GPIO) and it tells me what
> time it was. Use a GPSDO / Rb / picDIV to generate precise pulses. Compare
> the known time of the pulse with the time the box says it was. Repeat many
> times, collect data, look at the statistics; just as we would for any clock.
>
> Similarly, the box should be able to give me a pulse at a known time.

how do you set up NTP to do that?

> In this case it records the time it thinks the pulse went out, and your GPSDO
> / Rb / TIC makes the actual measurement. Again, collect data and look at the
> statistics; just as we would for any clock.
>
> Imagine the black box has two BNC connectors; one accepts an input pulse to
> be timed; one outputs a pulse at certain times. This allows a complete
> analysis of NTP operation. Should be true for both client or server. If you
> get down to nanosecond levels make sure to use equal length cables.
>
> To me this better than relying on NTP to tell you how NTP is doing, which as
> far as I can tell from live plots on the web, is all that most people do.
> Instead use real, external, physical measurement. The internal NTP stats are
> fine for tracking the performance of the PLL, but don't confuse that with
> actual timing.
>
> So this is why I'm excited to hear Gary wants a Rb timebase and a sub-ns
> counter. Someone will finally measure NTP for real, not rely on the internal
> numbers of NTP measuring itself. Or at least I hope that's what Gary is up to.

In both cases (pulse in and pulse out) the first step is to ask NTP “when was
that?”. You still have a pretty big chunk of NTP in the
middle of the process …. If NTP only “knows” what is happening (or can control
what is happening)  to +/- 300 ns. The guts of
your data will be limited to the same  300 ns.

Bob