Hi

> On Apr 10, 2018, at 9:59 AM, Dan Kemppainen <d...@irtelemetrics.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Don't know how good they are, but there are two functions in the kernel32 lib
> in windows that are related to a cpu performance counter,
> QueryPerformanceCounter and QueryPerformanceFrequency. (Maybe Linux has
> similar?)
>
> Anyway, on most systems the frequency reported is the raw cpu clock. (Couple
> of Ghz Range numbers, My current system is reporting 3,320,458 Hz, windows7.)
> Supposedly these are low latency functions. It may not offer a perfect
> solution, but at least it gives you 'low latency' access to a high speed
> counter.
>
> Maybe it's possible to timestamp incoming PPS pulses with this (assuming
> they're triggering an interrupt), and learn something neat.
>
> Some of this is subject to change with windows versions:
>
> https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dn553408(v=vs.85).aspx
>
> <https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dn553408(v=vs.85).aspx>

NTP already looks at incoming pulses and reports what it thinks is going on
with them. The desire here
is to get a pulse *out* of the device. Then you can toss it into a conventional
set of gear. From the data
you can independently evaluate what’s going on.

So more or less:

1) Generate pulse
2) Work out when the pulse went out
3) Compare that to what NTP thinks is going on
4) Generate a message to describe the delta in time

No, not trivial ….

Bob