I've been told that CD player type diodes can be successfully modulated
up to about 600 MHz, but that going much further is either difficult or
perhaps impossible.  This came from a guy (at Tektronix) who worked with
various types
of diode lasers a lot, back in the 1980's.  But at least they are cheap.  I
suspect that the leaded
package is a significant part of the issue; this ought to be somewhat
mitigated
by a suitable RF matching network.

Dana