On 12/4/18 9:00 AM, Tim Shoppa wrote:
Because of the Q of WWVB's transmit antenna (at least 300 by my back of the
envelope estimates), I don't think we could ever claim a WWVB PPS edge
sharper than 5 milliseconds and that might be optimistic.

Sure you can.. you do a matched filter to the waveform, so you're not just looking at a single zero crossing or cycle. Getting fraction of a degree phase accuracy from a strong signal is entirely possible.

A Q of 300 implies a bandwidth of 200Hz, which would, if a single section, be a delay of a few milliseconds. But that delay should be constant. What might be the limit on precision is whether the delay through the antenna and the ultimate radiated phase changes with, say, temperature or soil properties.

Tim N3QE