On 2/25/19 8:44 AM, David Witten wrote:
The bit of threaded tubing I found at the hardware store that fits
perfectly is labeled:

ProLine plumbing and heating products
BN-750NLB
877250
Nipple
(Niple)
1/4 inch x 1/4 inch x 6 inch
MIP
for installation instructions visit:
www.bkproducts.com

I was surprised by the 1/4 inch bit, as it seems distinctly larger.  It is
definitely tapered and threads smoothly, and seats firmly with all of the
threads engaged.

Unlike tubing (which is "true to size") pipe sizes bear no discernable easy to remember relationship to their physical dimensions.

1/4" pipe is a bit more than 1/2" OD.. (and 1/8" is not much smaller)
It's because originally, it was 1/4" ID, with standard wall thickness.. It's significantly bigger than 1/4" now, in any available wall thickness.

It's like all the various "gauges" for diameters and thicknesses.. they all come from some original "good idea" unique to an application - so depending on which metal it is, the gauge number for a given thickness is different. (and then we get to shotgun barrel and shot sizes...)

Or things like steam horsepower ratings for boilers, or...

This is why I have a PocketRef in my toolbox, with some pages tabbed or dogeared.