> Le 28 mai 2019 à 16:38, Eric Scace <e...@scace.org> a écrit :
>
> Hi fellow time nuts —
>
>   I’m looking for a sanity check or alternative suggestions for the problem
> and tentative solution described below.

You have a situation where the application in any one system is unaware of the
validity of the underlying OS time. So I think you have to have a mechanism
where transactions are refused/re-routed if that validity can not be
established. So I would say that some mechanism be put in place to check the
local clock against the time reported by a majority , or a large enough sample,
of the networks systems. Depending on the transaction rate that could be done
on a per transaction, or reasonable interval.

>   Thanks for your thoughts.
>
> — Eric
>
> Problem:
>
>   In one of my day jobs, I am designing a global network of systems (using
> open-source software) that provide well-researched information about rights
> and licenses for musical works (e.g., songs, compositions).
>
>   Claiming rights, registering licenses (some of which are temporary), and
> time-stamping changes to data each exemplify cases where date/time must be
> included. In many cases the time order of events can be important —
> potentially changing who gets paid how much when music is performed or
> distributed.
>
>   The machines are scattered around the planet and the usual problems of time
> distribution exist. Furthermore, systems are operated independently. We
> assume  occasional use of NTP to correct system clocks, but not a local
> GPS-provided time. The software development team is generally oblivious to
> the issues of time in distributed computer networks.
>
>   A grim picture — but, fortunately, this application does not require high
> precision time.
>
> My tentative proposal:
>
>   1. To avoid burdening systems with multiple local time conversions, all
> date/time information throughout the system shall be UTC. Implications:
> user apps will be responsible for converting from a human user’s local time
> to UTC
> thus, user app developers will have to do this conversion correctly
>
>   2. Date/time stamps in the data shall be rounded to the nearest EVEN second
> by the system instances; e.g., to 2019 May 28 14:24:28 UTC. Implications:
> user apps that submit claims or updates will have their claims/updates
> date/time-stamped by the receiving system node with this rounding method.
> Example: “John Smith claims that he and Jane Doe wrote these lyrics, making
> an equal contribution between them, on 2019 May 27 15:00:00 UTC. His claim
> was received by the system at 2019 May 28 14:26:50 UTC.” One or more
> blockchain ledgers record a hash of the musical work [the lyrics, in this
> example], the claim [who wrote the lyrics when], and which app/system
> registered the claim and when.
> events occurring roughly within ±1 second of each other will be deemed to
> have occurred simultaneously. This is entirely adequate for this application.
> competing leap second smearing methods employed by different operating
> systems and data center operators will be washed out of the time stamp by
> this rounding requirement.
>
> — end —
> and follow the instructions there.

"Ceux qui sont prêts à abandonner une liberté essentielle pour obtenir une
petite et provisoire sécurité, ne méritent ni liberté ni sécurité."
Benjimin Franklin