On 7/10/19 10:55 AM, Richard (Rick) Karlquist wrote:
FWIW, about 20 years ago, Len Cutler and Robin Giffard of 5071A fame
built several Hg ion clocks to be shipped to some govt customer I
don't remember.  One of the clocks was dropped by the shipping company
UPS or FedEX) and destroyed.  Only then did Len learn that HP was
self insured, probably as part of a package deal to get a low
corporate shipping rate.  HP products were packed extremely well, so
the only real risk was the unit getting stolen.  I vaguely remember
Len saying they were out $10K, which was probably just the cost of
parts.  Nevertheless, it didn't seem like building an Hg clock was
all that big of a project.  Way simpler than the 5071A.
Now a days, the electronics would be considerably easier and cheaper. The mechanical parts would all be CNC'ed by an online machine shop.

Rick N6RK

Just because, after all, you might get better performance from your homebuilt Hg-ion than your homebuilt H-maser - at a fraction of the cost.

The diagrams look simple, but of course, with this kind of stuff, it never is really simple.

Certainly, the UV source, PM tube and electronics is easier these days.
40.5 GHz isn't as exotic as it once was.

https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/abstract/document/7437483