Hi,

On 2019-08-16 08:30, John Miles wrote:
>> My guess is well into 6 figure$.
> It's a modular system like its 3048A and E5500-series forebears, so the only
> limits are your imagination and your bank account. :)  Very cool hardware,
> noting that it has some competition from all-in-one instruments like the FSWP
> that the earlier 'doomsday machines' didn't have to face.
>
> I'm sure you could spend a quarter of a million dollars on either the FSWP or
> the N5511A if you checked all the boxes.
Indeed. You get some pretty good stuff when you do.

>> BTW, I don't know what -177 dBm/Hz has to do with phase noise.
>> The relevant units are dBc/Hz as any time-nut knows.
> I haven't seen PN analyzers rated that way before, but it makes sense to a
> certain extent.  They are basically saying they can measure the noise on a 0
> dBm signal down to -177 dBc/Hz, with signals above 0 dBm being measurable
> with a commensurately-lower floor.  Their rated power limit is +20 dBm, so
> -197 dBc/Hz would be the theoretical limit.
Well, assuming the internal noise becomes a limit, which does not
necessarily need to be, but it is the traditional limit.
Cross-correlation can measure below it, but you then need to avoid
spectral collapse as well as AM-to-PM conversion which is another issue.
> The brochure goes into that in some detail, but there's no mention of
> cross-spectral collapse, which I thought was interesting.

Most hand-wave around that question. I've only see two reasonable
approaches, the onces we two provided, each with it's benefit and
drawback. A third approach has been proposed, but I have not seen a
realization of that.

>   The white-noise floor in their example plots is enviably flat, with no
> divots, suspicious-looking valleys or other artifacts.  If they are able to
> avoid that problem in the general case, it would be interesting to hear more
> about the strategy being used.

Agree. It's a tricky one as one try to reach that level. The approach I
proposed is so far impractical even if it works.

Cheers,
Magnus