Hi

> On Feb 28, 2020, at 9:33 AM, jimlux <jim...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> On 2/28/20 2:34 AM, Attila Kinali wrote:
>> On Thu, 27 Feb 2020 08:45:16 -0800
>> "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <rich...@karlquist.com> wrote:
>>> OTOH, you could build a simple Colpitts
>>> oscillator and see where it oscillates.
>>> That's what they did back in the dark
>>> ages.
>>>
>>> Any time nut should be up for that.
>> Yes, but how many of us can build a time-nuts quality oscillator?
>> I'm still lacking that paper/book that teaches me how to build
>> a high stability oscillator.
>

> I think to a large extent that is more art than science. High performance
> electronics (low noise, high stability, mass production, you name it) is
> always a combination of tradeoffs of non-ideal behavior, much of which is not
> necessarily modelable in a systems sense. So the trades get made by "gut
> feel" developed from experience.

There are papers that dive into some of the tradeoffs. Things like
phase noise get a lot of attention. However, every attempt that I’m
aware of to write an “oscillator cookbook” has either become very
narrow ( = how to use this chip in a clock oscillator) or has hit a wall
before becoming useful.

The normal way high precision oscillators are “learned" is to either
learn it from the guy on the next bench (who already knows) or to
do a whole lot of experimentation. Even there, the process is pretty
narrowly focused.

Bob