--------
In message <20200229225810.821060243849550a915d2...@kinali.ch>, Attila Kinali
writes:

> >The diameter of the blank has to be scaled with its thickness, in
> >order not to compromise the f*Q product. Which in turn makes it
> >a bit problematic in terms of packaging, but nothing unsolvable.
>
> Isn't that where "whispering gallery" modes come into the picture ?

Different concept. Quartz oscillators are mechanical resonators.

I am pretty sure that the first Quartz resonators Bell Labs played
with, almost a hundred years ago, were whispering gallery mode:

        https://archive.org/details/bstj8-3-493/page/n3/mode/2up

p...@freebsd.org         | TCP/IP since RFC 956