Hi

A few generic Rb information points:

1) All the telecom Rb’s need an external heatsink. To just mount them on
a PC board, you need a lot of airflow (like fans …).

2) Heat sinking improves the lifespan of these devices. Without a heatsink,
a year or two is doing pretty well. With a heatsink that gets the base to 40C
(possibly heatsink + small fan) a decade or more is possible.

3) If your Rb has a PPS output, cal is pretty easy. Just compare the pps
to a < $20 GPS module with a scope. A day or three of tweaking should
get you pretty close.

4) With very few exceptions telecom Rb’s either have rotten phase noise / spurs
or they have horrible phase noise / spurs. If you are going to do anything
“fancy” (like microwaves) with one, you will need a cleanup loop.

5) Many outfits produced a wide range of parts, all with the same part number.
What you have with a XXXX model number on it may be *very* different than
what I have with the same … errr ... FE-5680 model number on it.

6) Most Rb’s have some sort of crystal oscillator in them. There often is an
adjustment (re-centering) needed on surplus parts.

7) Like OCXO’s Rb’s do have a warmup / retrace process that runs into
days. They also are sensitive to temperature, voltage, pressure, and
humidity. Compared to an OCXO, most of these sensitivities are pretty
small.

As mentioned in a number of posts, in a lot of ways, an Rb makes a pretty
good basement lab standard. Compared to a GPSDO, there are a lot
fewer things to go wrong.

Bob