Hi Hal,

I have one of these big (maybe 14" dia) old office clocks, still working, hanging on the garage wall at the farm, next to a modern WWVB clock. I don't worry about what time it says, but I sometimes look to estimate total power outage time (can be quite a lot up there) since the last reset. I think it's around sixty years old. It has the flag indicator as described, that resets when you pull the time set knob at the bottom.

I remember when I was a kid, I either repaired or junked out many of the Telechron (I think that was GE's brand name for it) clocks, which were the standard for nearly all AC-powered clocks at the time. There was no gray area in the failures - the sealed motor either worked or not, and if it did work, then the problem was in the external gear train (almost always from dirt and lint). I took apart many of the motors to see how they worked (or didn't). The usual failure was that the oil fill leaked out. Sometimes, the little magnetic rotor would loose enough of its reluctance that it wouldn't start reliably or have enough torque to run the gearbox.

I also lived in Syracuse (actually Liverpool, one of the burbs) for a while. I remember in 8th grade, we went on a class tour of NiMo's brand new nuclear plant at Nine Mile Point, just before it was commissioned. Fascinating.

Ed