Hello Paul,

You will still need to power the clock by winding it up when required.  The pendulum does not drive the clock, it regulates how the power is allowed to escape from the driving force through a mechanism called the escapement.

As far as regulation goes the traditional was is to fis a soft Iron pole piece to the pendulum about  a quarter of the way down from the suspension and mount a coil of wire adjacent to this such that the pole piece enters the coil on the excursion of the pendulum. The control mechanism inserts a current through the coil in 100 micro amp steps to bring the clock to time. The best way to monitor the timekeeping is by using an optical detector and feeding the result back into the coil.

There will still be variations from second to second because of escapement error so it would be best to start with a clock using a dead beat escapement or better.

Enjoy the experiment.

Regards

Peter