kb...@n1k.org  said:
I would strongly suggest that with NTP ???more is better???. Three reference
devices is about the minimum. Five is a good target to aim for.

One suggestion I make to folk who ask is to use the "pool" directive. This allows NTP to choose as many servers as it needs (according to a pre-configured compile-time constant), and it will automatically drop and add servers as needed. OK, it's a little more complicated than that but using pool is easy:

Replace the lines:

    # Use pool NTP servers
    server 0.uk.pool.ntp.org  iburst
    server 1.uk.pool.ntp.org  iburst
    server 2.uk.pool.ntp.org  iburst

with the single line:

    # Use pool NTP servers
    pool uk.pool.ntp.org  iburst

if you are in the US, for example:

    # Use pool NTP servers
    pool us.pool.ntp.org  iburst

and you can use multiple lines such as a Dutch user might have:

    # Use pool NTP servers
    pool nl.pool.ntp.org  iburst
    pool uk.pool.ntp.org  iburst

See: