Jim,

The wear leveling algorithms have gotten very good at garbage collection, wear
leveling, and bit error recovery codes.  (LDPC has gotten a lot of practical
research for flash).
(the challenges are - when to do the garage collection, so as not to impact
read and write rates, yet not run so low that write IOP rate falls off a cliff,
AND still keep pages alive).

File systems that try to understand the flash sectors generally haven’t proven
as helpful as the flash device controller wear leveling algorithms.

A lot of the SD cards have gone to TLC style memory (also know as trash).

KR