Andy wrote:
"... I too was surprised to see nothing more than a Zener being used in one case, but bearing in mind this was in a temperature controlled environment is not as bad as a Zener in open air."

In the OCXOs I've had opened up, they used a temperature compensated Zener, typically in the 1N821 class, 6.2 V, or one near 9.1 V (I forget the part number series). So, it could actually have a very good overall tempco - a TC Zener operating at a fixed oven temperature. These were directly regulating the internal circuit voltage, and not buffered, so I think the main problem with stability is the external loading effects on the operating point of the TCZD. I think the first noticeable effect would be a drop from open-circuit reference voltage, when hooking up an external pot.

Ed