On 1/22/22 8:21 AM, Bob kb8tq wrote:
Hi

None of these transformers are designed for audio use. The same is true
of the various inductors and capacitors mounted up on power poles to try
to phase correct the distribution process. Pretty much all of them are “out
in the wild” and thus exposed to fairly large temperature swings.

All of that suggests that the typical power distribution line is pretty narrow
band / low pass. Indeed back in the day, that’s what we found when measuring
this and that.

I’d vote for sticking with the transformer.

Bob

As always, there's a standard for that..
ANSI/IEEE C62.41-2002, “Guide on the Surge Environment in Low-Voltage (1,000 V and less) AC Power Circuits.” (which is inactivated as of 2021, but reserved, I think there's a replacement coming out)

This is probably a Category A or B location

https://www.eaton.com/content/dam/eaton/products/backup-power-ups-surge-it-power-distribution/complete-home-surge-protection/eaton-eatons-guide-surge-suppression-application-notes-sa01005003e-ca.pdf