In the nist documents a separation is made between a measurement device
that provides single observations spaced in time and the statistical
processing that uses these observations over a long time period. My focus
is the on methods to come to the best possible single observation as input
to the statistical process, possibly extended with some confidence
information. So a kind of decimation that is done using many underlying
observations (the captured counters) almost equally spaced in time.
>From what I understood of the feedback is that the linear regression is the
best method to do this decimation both for phase and frequency measurement
and that modeling of the reference clock or other factors influencing the
counters is possible but will become very complex very soon. Making a good
event counter is still difficult
The reason to go for the two captured counters is because I assume it is
the most simple way to relate phase and frequency of a repeating event to a
reference clock, in particular given the abilities of modern
microcontrollers. If this assumption is wrong let me know.
I will study the calculation method by Magnus as it may increase the
obtainable speed of the underlying observation.