On 6/20/22 2:39 AM, Magnus Danielson via time-nuts wrote:

So, a counter is really like an ADC for phase, with wide bandwidth input and a sub-sampling mechanism (trigger/time-base). Through processing frequency estimates can be provided. Aliasing occurrs in the sub-sampling. Modern counters can provided estimation filters than goes from a higher sub-sampling rate to a lower, which to some degree removes aliasing, but not fully. These frequency estimation methods form a form of decimation filter.

Cheers,
Magnus

An intruiging thought as I drink my first cup of coffee (meaning it's not well thought out)..

jumping off from "counter is similar to an ADC for phase" - is there a time domain equivalent for Nyquist criterion?   Certainly there's the cycle ambiguity.. you know when the zerocrossing occurred, but not how many are in between (although a counter usually does). For everything else there is a frequency/time duality, so I suspect there is.  The criterion is usually explained in terms of information - so there should be an equivalent "has all the information" statement for counters/gate widths/precisions.