Hi there,

I am using tinc since some monthes. I think the basic idea of
extending vpn to a mesh of systems via tun/tap is great. And I think
it is one of the useable developments compared to the much more
complex vpn solutions I had used in the past. Great work.

Setting up tinc I have fought with the configuration (and with the
concepts) for a while as I have found no example that covers my
special setup until I reached this fairly minimal config below.

The setup is as follows:
Home network is 10.10.0.x/24, Ubuntu Unix Server has internal IP
10.10.0.30, Gateway is 10.10.0.254
I have a dynamic ip on this network and a masquerading firewall router.

I am accessing home network via Ubuntu linux laptop via UMTS which
means dynamic IP-Address, normally also in the 10.x.y.z Range (can
this be a problem ?).

>From the forum answers I think I can delete the entries
"PrivateKeyFile" as this is default, otherwise configuration is quite
minimal.


======= Configuration =========

Server Side
===========
# cat tinc.conf
Name = fsvpns3f30
Mode = switch
Device = /dev/net/tun
AddressFamily = ipv4
PingInterval = 30
PrivateKeyFile = /etc/tinc/fsvpn/rsa_key.priv

# cat tinc-up
#!/bin/sh
ifconfig $INTERFACE 10.10.100.30 netmask 255.255.0.0

# cat hosts/fsvpns3f30
Address = xyz.dyndns.org
Port=655
Compression=9
Subnet=10.10.0.0/16
TCPonly=yes
-----BEGIN RSA PUBLIC KEY-----
...
-----END RSA PUBLIC KEY-----

Client Side
========
# cat tinc.conf
Name = fsvpnmf
Mode = switch
Device = /dev/net/tun
AddressFamily = ipv4
PingInterval = 30
ConnectTo = fsvpns3f30
PrivateKeyFile=/etc/tinc/fsvpn/rsa_key.priv

# cat tinc-up
#!/bin/sh
ifconfig $INTERFACE 10.10.101.1 netmask 255.255.0.0

# cat fsvpnmf
Port = tinc
Compression = 9
Subnet = 10.10.101.1/32
TCPonly=yes
ConnectTo = xyz.dyndns.org
-----BEGIN RSA PUBLIC KEY-----
...
-----END RSA PUBLIC KEY-----

This setup works now for a while with the restriction that I can
directly only reach one machine on my network. I can ssh through it to
reach the other machines in the network, but this is not ideal (e.g.
if  I want to directly reach windows machines). That means from my
laptop I can only directly reach the 10.10.0.30/10.10.100/30 machine.
It looks like a routing problem. I guess I will have to add on tinc-up
script on both sides but in combination with the vpn device I need
some guidance.

Can you see how the configuration can be enhanced to reach the whole
network of machines on the home network from laptops directly ?

Any suggestions are welcome.

Mansour Farghaly
_______________________________________________
tinc mailing list
[email protected]
http://www.tinc-vpn.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/tinc

Reply via email to