Ok here's the setup.
3 tinc hosts using network named 'publicip':
1- publicipinternet (ip: 71.19.246.40)
2- cancer connected to publicipinternet (visible public ip: 193.227.191.90)
3- publicipclient connected to publicipinternet (visible public ip: 178.135.234.225)

I'm having 'cancer' transfer SCP a file to 'publicipclient' through 'publicipinternet'

Here's log from 'cancer'

[root@cancer ~]# tincd -d4 -n publicip
[root@cancer ~]# tail -f /var/log/messages
Sep 15 11:22:29 cancer tinc.publicip[27225]: tincd 1.0.12 (Mar 15 2010 21:05:24) starting, debug level 4 Sep 15 11:22:29 cancer tinc.publicip[27225]: /dev/net/tun is a Linux tun/tap device (tap mode)
Sep 15 11:22:29 cancer tinc.publicip[27225]: Executing script tinc-up
Sep 15 11:22:29 cancer NetworkManager[1122]: <warn> /sys/devices/virtual/net/publicip: couldn't determine device driver; ignoring...
Sep 15 11:22:29 cancer tinc.publicip[27225]: Listening on 0.0.0.0 port 655
Sep 15 11:22:29 cancer tinc.publicip[27225]: Ready
Sep 15 11:22:29 cancer tinc.publicip[27225]: Trying to connect to publicipinternet (71.19.246.40 port 655) Sep 15 11:22:30 cancer tinc.publicip[27225]: Connected to publicipinternet (71.19.246.40 port 655) Sep 15 11:22:30 cancer tinc.publicip[27225]: Connection with publicipinternet (71.19.246.40 port 655) activated Sep 15 11:22:31 cancer tinc.publicip[27225]: Got ADD_SUBNET from publicipinternet (71.19.246.40 port 655) for ourself

Here's log from 'publicipclient'

Sep 14 18:45:52 localhost kernel: libfcoe_device_notification: NETDEV_UNREGISTER publicip Sep 14 18:46:01 localhost tinc.publicip[2063]: tincd 1.0.22 (Sep 9 2013 17:28:23) starting, debug level 4 Sep 14 18:46:01 localhost tinc.publicip[2063]: /dev/net/tun is a Linux tun/tap device (tap mode)
Sep 14 18:46:01 localhost tinc.publicip[2063]: Executing script tinc-up
Sep 14 18:46:01 localhost avahi-daemon[1455]: Joining mDNS multicast group on interface publicip.IPv4 with address 192.168.98.2. Sep 14 18:46:01 localhost avahi-daemon[1455]: New relevant interface publicip.IPv4 for mDNS. Sep 14 18:46:01 localhost avahi-daemon[1455]: Registering new address record for 192.168.98.2 on publicip.IPv4.
Sep 14 18:46:01 localhost tinc.publicip[2063]: Listening on 0.0.0.0 port 655
Sep 14 18:46:01 localhost tinc.publicip[2063]: Listening on :: port 655
Sep 14 18:46:01 localhost tinc.publicip[2063]: Ready
Sep 14 18:46:01 localhost NetworkManager[1443]: <warn> /sys/devices/virtual/net/publicip: couldn't determine device driver; ignoring... Sep 14 18:46:01 localhost tinc.publicip[2063]: Trying to connect to publicipinternet (71.19.246.40 port 655) Sep 14 18:46:02 localhost tinc.publicip[2063]: Connected to publicipinternet (71.19.246.40 port 655) Sep 14 18:46:02 localhost avahi-daemon[1455]: Registering new address record for fe80::54a0:2aff:fe52:53a4 on publicip.*. Sep 14 18:46:02 localhost tinc.publicip[2063]: Connection with publicipinternet (71.19.246.40 port 655) activated Sep 14 18:46:03 localhost tinc.publicip[2063]: Got ADD_SUBNET from publicipinternet (71.19.246.40 port 655) for ourself Sep 14 19:03:12 localhost tinc.publicip[2063]: publicipinternet (71.19.246.40 port 655) didn't respond to PING in 5 seconds Sep 14 19:03:12 localhost tinc.publicip[2063]: Closing connection with publicipinternet (71.19.246.40 port 655) Sep 14 19:03:12 localhost tinc.publicip[2063]: Could not set up a meta connection to publicipinternet Sep 14 19:03:12 localhost tinc.publicip[2063]: Trying to re-establish outgoing connection in 5 seconds Sep 14 19:03:17 localhost tinc.publicip[2063]: Trying to connect to publicipinternet (71.19.246.40 port 655) Sep 14 19:03:18 localhost tinc.publicip[2063]: Connected to publicipinternet (71.19.246.40 port 655) Sep 14 19:03:18 localhost tinc.publicip[2063]: Connection with publicipinternet (71.19.246.40 port 655) activated


here's jnettop log on the eth1 interface from 'publicipinternet' showing TCP 655 primarily used for traffic based on the transfer speed (2 TCP connections at speeds of 137KB/s and 111KB/s for TCP whereas 1 UDP connect at 5.45KB/s

publicip.info <-> 193.227.191.90 7.63k/s 137k/s 145k/s 71.19.246.40 655 TCP 193.227.191.90 51410 667k 8.42m 9.08m

publicip.info <-> 178.135.234.225 109k/s 2.39k/s 111k/s 71.19.246.40 655 TCP 178.135.234.225 10379 7.81m 246k 8.05m

publicip.info <-> 178.135.234.225 882b/s 5.45k/s 6.31k/s 71.19.246.40 655 UDP 178.135.234.225 64291 20.1k 496k 516k


-------- Original Message  --------
Subject: Re: tinc never using UDP for data
From: Nikolaus Rath <[email protected]>
To: [email protected]
Date: 9/14/2013 2:10 AM

Marwan Gedeon<[email protected]>  writes:
Hello list,
I looked around online but didn't find an answer, so if you can help
me out, I'll appreciate
I'm trying to create a tinc network which transmits data as UDP and
not TCP, because I will pass VoIP traffic on top of it, which would
not work fine if using TCP.
I have configured tinc between 2 machines and it's working fine,
default ports open (UDP 655 and TCP 655) and I have tested with netcat
that I can transmit data over UDP between the 2 hosts
However, whenever I bring up tinc network,and try to transmit files
over it, they are going over TCP.
I have read that tinc will try to use UDP for data and automatically
fall back to TCP, but I can't understand in my case why UDP is not
being used for data.
I appreciate some help to understand why UDP is not used so I fix the
problem causing this and make it used for data transmission.

I'd recommend to run tinc with -d4 to get some more information and (if
that doesn't help already) include the output in your question.

Best,
-Nikolaus

_______________________________________________
tinc mailing list
[email protected]
http://www.tinc-vpn.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/tinc

Reply via email to