Just to say I have, I just tried to with '-fPIC' without success.
The error happens at the very end when everything it getting linked. In the error I mentioned, it doesn't even look like it's gotten to linking the external libraries, it's 'crtbeginT.o' which is in the toolchain path. The only time I've ever seen '-fPIC' errors, is when trying to link shared libraries. My '-static' in LIBS should prevent any shared linking, it should only try to link static libraries . -fPIC shouldn't even come up as an issue as I see it, it has to deal with shared libraries. It seems in the latest version of 1.1, something has become hard-coded to only link with shared libraries. It also seems hard-coded to only recognize when shared libraries are present when running configure, but in 1.1pre9 it would recognize when only static libraries were present.

https://github.com/lancethepants/tinc-mipsel-static/blob/master/tinc.sh
This is the script I've created to compile tinc. It's works just fine as is with 1.1pre9. When I simply replace the source url to 1.1pre10 it no longer compiles and gives the error I mentioned.

-Lance Fredrickson

On 2/10/2014 5:16 PM, folkert wrote:
The error message suggests adding -fPIC to CFLAGS - have you tried that?

On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 02:44:57PM -0700, Lance Fredrickson wrote:
I'm having trouble compiling this.  I typically create a static
binary for mips devices for use in routers of different firmwares.
Typically I create static libraries on which tinc is dependent  (lzo
zlib openssl ncurses readline) . In this release, tinc doesn't see
the static libraries, just the development .h files when running
./configure.  So I compiled static and shared libraries, so it will
make it through the configure script.  Then when I compile tinc I
run

make LIBS="-static -lcrypto -ldl -llzo2 -lz"
and this typcically will give me static binaries.

But with pre10 I get this.

/opt/entware-toolchain/lib/gcc/mipsel-linux-uclibc/4.6.4/../../../../mipsel-linux-uclibc/bin/ld:
/opt/entware-toolchain/lib/gcc/mipsel-linux-uclibc/4.6.4/crtbeginT.o:
relocation R_MIPS_HI16 against `a local symbol' can not be used when
making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
/opt/entware-toolchain/lib/gcc/mipsel-linux-uclibc/4.6.4/crtbeginT.o:
could not read symbols: Bad value

I think maybe it's trying to static link to libc. For some reason
this release is hating anything I try to link statically.

-Lance Fredrickson

On 2/7/2014 2:57 PM, Guus Sliepen wrote:
With pleasure we announce the release of tinc version 1.1pre10. Here is a
summary of the changes:

  * Added a benchmark tool (sptps_speed) for the new protocol.

  * Fixed a crash when using Name = $HOST while $HOST is not set.

  * Use AES-256-GCM for the new protocol.

  * Updated support for Solaris.

  * Allow running tincd without a private ECDSA key present when
    ExperimentalProtocol is not explicitly set.

  * Enable various compiler hardening flags by default.

  * Added support for a "conf.d" configuration directory.

  * Fix tinc-gui on Windows, also allowing it to connect to a 32-bits tincd when
    tinc-gui is run in a 64-bits Python environment.

  * Added a "ListenAddress" option, which like BindToAddress adds more listening
    address/ports, but doesn't bind to them for outgoing sockets.

  * Make invitations work better when the "invite" and "join" commands are not
    run interactively.

  * When creating meta-connections to a node for which no Address statement is
    specified, try to use addresses learned from other nodes.

Thanks to Dennis Joachimsthaler and Florent Clairambault for their contribution
to this version of tinc.

Please note that although tinc 1.1pre10 is backwards compatible with tinc 1.0.x,
it is NOT compatible with tinc 1.1pre1 through 1.1pre9.



_______________________________________________
tinc mailing list
[email protected]
http://www.tinc-vpn.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/tinc
_______________________________________________
tinc mailing list
[email protected]
http://www.tinc-vpn.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/tinc


Folkert van Heusden


_______________________________________________
tinc mailing list
[email protected]
http://www.tinc-vpn.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/tinc

Reply via email to