Guus:

I documented the setup in detail. Perhaps it may help someone else in the 
future. Thanks again for your help.

http://learnlinuxonline.com/servers/setting-up-a-vpn-with-tinc-vpn-software

Michael Munger, dCAP, MCPS, MCNPS, MBSS
High Powered Help, Inc.
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft Certified Small Business Specialist
Digium Certified Asterisk Professional
[email protected]

-----Original Message-----
From: tinc [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Michael Munger
Sent: Tuesday, March 11, 2014 7:07 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: Cannot Ping after successful connection?

Guus:

YOU ARE THE WINNER!

The (embarrassing) "NETMASK instead of netmask" was, indeed, the problem. After 
staring at this for such a long time, I stopped seeing silly mistakes!

Thanks for the help and the awesome package. I am off to write / document 
everything I've learned!

Michael Munger, dCAP, MCPS, MCNPS, MBSS
High Powered Help, Inc.
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft Certified Small Business Specialist Digium Certified Asterisk 
Professional [email protected]


-----Original Message-----
From: tinc [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Guus Sliepen
Sent: Tuesday, March 11, 2014 6:36 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: Cannot Ping after successful connection?

On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 09:32:30PM +0000, Michael Munger wrote:

> Per your instructions, I changed the Subnets to single IPs. The logs show 
> that it was added as a /32, so that's great. I assume that since tincd is 
> running in router mode (default), it builds this table so there is no need to 
> add routes with the route command, right?

Well, you still need to make sure that there is a route to direct all the VPN 
traffic to the VPN interface. But if you keep the tinc-up script like you had 
before (with netmask 255.255.255.0), then that is indeed the case.

> I still cannot ping, and I am getting "Got MTU probe length" errors in 
> syslog. Lots of them. I have attached the relevant sections of the log if you 
> wish to see them (below - I'll keep these public for future folks who post to 
> this list).

Those are not errors, just informational messages.

> For the "server":
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/leojizn9mi599wf/vpnserver.log

I do see an error here:

Mar 11 17:22:51 web-services tinc.webservices[18869]: Executing script tinc-up 
Mar 11 17:22:51 web-services tinc.webservices[18869]: Script tinc-up exited 
with non-zero status 1

This means something went wrong executing the tinc-up script. In your first 
email you wrote:

> root@web-services:/etc/tinc/webservices# cat tinc-up #!/bin/bash 
> ifconfig $INTERFACE 192.168.98.1 NETMASK 255.255.255.0

That should be two separate lines, and it should be "netmask" instead of
"NETMASK":

#!/bin/bash
ifconfig $INTERFACE 192.168.98.1 netmask 255.255.255.0

Hopefully with that fixed, your VPN will start working.

--
Met vriendelijke groet / with kind regards,
     Guus Sliepen <[email protected]>
_______________________________________________
tinc mailing list
[email protected]
http://www.tinc-vpn.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/tinc
_______________________________________________
tinc mailing list
[email protected]
http://www.tinc-vpn.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/tinc

Reply via email to