>> Consider the case where you have the following setup
>> 
>>      client  -       fw      -       server
>> 
>> The client and server successfully setup a tunnel and UDP communication 
>> starts to happen. Then the client shuts up and the server only needs to send 
>> data to the client if the remote tool accesses the client’s UI.
>> 
>> If the firewall times out the NAT UDP hole, the server has a problem: The 
>> UDP tunnel has been marked as possible, but the UDP tunnel does no longer 
>> work because the fw has timed out the UDP hole it punched.
>> 
>> PING/PONG packets are sent on the meta channel, so that is not a solution.
> 
> Tinc also sends PMTU probes via UDP at the same interval as the
> PING/PONG packets via the meta channel. They help to keep the UDP NAT
> mapping alive, and also allow tinc to detect when UDP is not possible
> anymore, and will cause it to fall back to TCP in that case.

We (2 people) looked through the code for an hour and we both missed that. PMTU 
discovery is switched off as I don’t want the overhead. If that is being sent 
at regular intervals my comment is invalid.

Well, I’ve switched to TCPOnly for now and I’d really like that to stay 
available. I also would love to have a UDPonly option as well :-)

Nick

Attachment: signature.asc
Description: Message signed with OpenPGP using GPGMail

_______________________________________________
tinc mailing list
[email protected]
http://www.tinc-vpn.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/tinc

Reply via email to