I bought 8 AA batteries in the 1 dollar store. It only run 20 hours then the leds
were dim. The voltage of the battery was under 2.0v. 18.2+mA is the current
consumption of CC 2420. There are MSP430 and Flash Memory as well as
othere ICs. I am wondering why have tested the current of 50 to 60 mA with
Rx and Tx enabled.

My iPod nano with LCD,1GB Flash, and Li-Poly battery can even run 14 hours.
I have expected that a mote should consume much less power than an iPod.
Some special programming skills may be required to save power of motes.

Chang

6 days sounds about right.  When the radio is turned on and simply
listening, it is consuming an average of 18.2+ mA - your 18.8 mA sounds
accurate. I measured it to be about 437.4 mAh/day. With 1500 mAh batteries
and those measurements, you're looking at about 3-4 days lifetime.

Duty cycle the radio and you'll get many more days.  At 0.23% duty cycle
with a cc2420 radio duty cycle period of 10 seconds, the lifetime of a tmote
should be about 300+ days at 1500 mAh.

Keep in mind that batteries are rarely what they say they are - 1500 mAh is the minimum guaranteed by the manufacturer. Many batteries can potentially
last much longer than what they're rated, especially depending on the
environment and type of battery.