I'd suggest googling this particular phrase: octave deciphering tinyos packets

The PDF file can be found here: http://www.octavetech.com/pubs/TB5-01%20Deciphering%20TinyOS%20Serial%20Packets.pdf

Hope it helps.

Sankar.

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 13:38:02 -0500, Arya Afrashteh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi, I have a question about writing packets from the PC to the BASE STATION
which will send out packets to the entire mote network.

Basically I'm using the file xerial.c from the xlisten application
(contrib\xbow\tools\src\xlisten) as a template, (note xbow directory is
something I got off www.crossbow.com using mica2 motes).

My question is is that I want to send out my own message that has a specific
type of protocol in the payload of the TOS_MSG.....

I'm guessing I need to send this out to the serial port:::

7e 42 FF FF 00 7d 0A 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 A AA BB 7E

where AA BB is some random CRC #, FF FF is I want to broadcast this message to
the entire network, 7D is the group number, and 0A is the length....

Is this correct? Its funny because I'm not sure where that 00 7d comes from, I thought the group ID was only 8 bits long, or is it 16 bits long? And a final question is, I know how to calculate the CRC, but is the CRC calculated starting from the message address values to n - 1 bytes or the message type to
n - 1 bytes??

I'm also assuming the program TOS_BASE will receive this data and
automatically create a packet and foward it to the network based off what I
sent it right?

No opera plot can be sensible, for people do not sing when they are feeling sensible. - W. H. Auden