Hi Paul,

The UART on the expansion header is not shared with the UART connected to USB. You must use UART0 explicitly, however keep in mind that UART0 is part of the USART module that also provides the SPI bus for the CC2420 radio and serial flash. To use UART0, you must arbitrate the USART module by ensuring that the radio or flash is not used while the UART is being used. This is accomplished in TOS 1.x by using the BusArbitration module.

Also keep in mind that the UART0 pins on the IDC header are CMOS level, and if you need to connect them to RS232 you need a level shifter (ie MAX232), or you may blow the MSP430.

I believe there are some examples under contrib that demonstrate the UART0 functionality, but I'm not sure off the top of my head.

There have been plenty of discussions on this mailing list regarding the external UART, so take a look at the archives as well.
Cheers,
Matt Thompson

Paul David Kavan wrote:
Hello all:

I am working on a project to communicate from a TelosB mote to a PC using the TransparentBase program via Bluetooth. I would like to use the 10-pin IDC header (U2)--pins 2 and 4 to accomplish this. Before I proceed too far does anyone know if those pins are active during normal UARTSend calls--as the USB interface is connected to UART1 and the expansion header is connected to UART0.

Thanks.

Paul