Are you having problems compiling, sending commands, or actually
writing/reading data on flash?

There are two different components/demo apps that I've written that will let
you interact with the mote's flash from the computer: FlashViewer, and
FlashBridgeViewer.  I probably should have named "FlashViewer" something a
little more appropriate, like "BlockStorageViewer" or something to make it
clearer what it does.

Both apps let you run commands from the command line interface through a
Java app so you can see how the BlockStorage (FlashViewer) or FlashBridge
(FlashBridgeViewer) components behave.

The difference between the two is FlashViewer accesses the BlockStorage
interfaces, while FlashBridgeViewer accesses my own flash interface called
FlashBridge, which is located in the TinyOS 1.x CVS under
/contrib/rincon/apps/FlashBridge *and*
/contrib/rincon/apps/Blackbook5/media.  The goal behind the FlashBridge
component was to provide an interface to let you read/write/erase/crc all
types of flash without experiencing behavioral differences in your
application.  So you can compile an application for the STM25P80 flash and
for the AT45DB flash (and others) and expect the apps to behave the same.

Boomerang uses some different arbitration than the regular TinyOS 1.x
implementation, which may cause a problem compiling.  To solve this on the
FlashBridgeViewer demo app, you'll need to edit the Makefile and edit part
of it to read:

# If you use Boomerang, comment this line out:
#CFLAGS += -I../../../../tos/lib/Transceiver

# If you use Boomerang, uncomment these lines:
CFLAGS += -DSTM25P_BOOMERANG_VERSION
CFLAGS += -I../../../../tos/lib/sptransceiver

Only then will you get the FlashBridgeViewer component to compile.

If you're only interested in using the BlockStorage components to access
flash, you can test it using the FlashViewer app located in
/contrib/rincon/apps/FlashViewer and the Java app located in
/contrib/rincon/tools/java/com/rincon/flashviewer.  I don't think there are
any Makefile options to edit in the FlashViewer demo app.

-david