200 (decimal) is a negative number in an 8 bit signed int...about -55.
Does that make more sense for your level?
MS

Sean Casey wrote:
Hello,

I'm working with mica2 motes and I would like to know if it's possible to calculate the rssi value in dBm on the mote locally. I had been sending the rssi value to the UART and then calculating the dBm value with a java program, but now I would like to calculate it locally on the mote, and store it in flash. I've attempted this and I'm not getting a value in the right range. This is what I've been using:

/* Calculate the RSSI Value */
V_RSSI = 3.0 * (RSSI_VAL/1024);
RSSI_dBM = (int8_t) ((-50.0 * V_RSSI) - 45.5);

Where V_RSSI and RSSI_VAL are of type double. Using this I'm getting a value of around 200, which is much higher than the range I'd expect. Does anyone know what data types I could use to locally compute this?

Thanks for any replies.

- Sean