The other cases where u would like to control the power management by yourself depends on what event you want to wakeup the mote. For example if you use HPLPowerManagement then the mote (I tested this on micaz motes) can wakeup on Timer event but not on a UART receive event. So if your application needs wakeup-on-UART-event you will have to take things in your hands or tweak the Tinyos power management.

check the datasheet of the uC (atmel for micaz and msp430 for telos) for different sleep modes and the events which can wakeup the uC from the specific sleep mode.

tarun bansal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
TinyOS via HPLPowerManagement relives the programmer of keeping track
of hardware devices for power managament.

However I want to know if there are any disadvantages of using this
approach? Giving the tinyos freedom to switch off the devices may be
harmful in some cases. e.g. if the programmer wants to synchronise the
nodes tightly, then this scheme might prove harmful.

1. What are the other such cases where HPLPowerManagement should not be used ?
2. If there are no problems, then why is this option off by default?

Tarun