Sure -- I could see a solution where you use some method to
synchronize all motes to a common time base (perhaps using any of the
proposed radio time sync protocols) and then you use USB to transmit
messages of the form: at time X do Y,where time X is sufficiently far
in the future.

Rob

On 8/24/06, Jose L. Ponce <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
2006/8/24, Robert Szewczyk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> > But this would also mean that it is not possible to send a message to
> > _all_ motes simultaneously, right? This would be a big problem...
> That's correct.  Simultaneous transmission to all motes over usb would
> be difficult over a point to point link such as USB .  USB host
> schedules transmissions to individual endpoints on a 1 ms granularity,
> and depending on the precise timing of requests you may observe as
> much as 2 ms between requests.   It sounds like if you want  motes to
> receive a message simultaneously, a radio broadcast channel may be
> appropriate.

Mmmm... Perhaps a better solution would be to use both USB and
radio... I have used SerialForwarder Multiplexer but I am not getting
very good results and I am thinking that using multiple instances of
SerialForwarder and mapping might be more work but in the end the
computer-mote communication should be more reliable this way...

- J.