The standard simply says that LQI has to be between 0 and 255. It does not
say how it is calculated. The raw value you get from CC2420 (CORR) is
between 40 and 110. A simple thing to do might be to find 'a' and 'b' such
that the final value is between 0 and 255.

To get a more meaningful value (such as the Packet Error Rate) from CORR, I
did some experiments where I made many nodes send packets to others. From
the collected data, I plotted average CORR and the PER for different links.
Then I fitted a curve to this plot. I used this to map CORR to PER.
Ofcourse, this is just an approximation as you don't get CORR for lost
packets. You can refer to our paper titled "RSSI is Under Appreciated"
published in EmNets 2006 for further details. Please note that we refer to
raw CORR value as LQI in the paper.

Kannan.