I have been working on extending the nesC compiler. I have been stepping through and watching the compiler load the different support files. Looking through the data structures, I can't find the source's data objects. It appears that the algorithm looks like this but I can't find the data structures to support it:

  Load named file
     If not found locally, look for it in provided path
     Get list of associated files
     Load named file

I'm assuming that CPP is called to preprocess the directives...
Where in the compiler source is the file fully loaded? And, could anyone describe for me what the AST data structures look like (especially those structures that can't be discerned from gdb)?
I want to add a filter between the load and the processing phases.
Thanks for your help.
-Sean Walton